Home > Products

Cinnamyl chloride

Cinnamyl chloride is used in the enantioselective total synthesis of helioporins C and E, bioactive marine diterpenes. Cinnamyl chloride is used in fine chemicals and organic synthesis. It is commonly used in the synthesis of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular drugs, such as brain azine, cinnamylpiperazine and so on. It is also one of the important spices. It is used to produce other chemicals. For example, it can react with Acetoacetic acid ethyl ester to get 2-trans-Cinnamyl-acetoacetic acid ethyl ester. The reaction occurs with reagents potassium carbonate, acetone.


Product Name: Cinnamyl Chloride

Alias: 3-chloro-1-phenylpropene; 3-phenylallyl chloride; 3-chloro-1-phenyl-1-propene; (3-chloroprop-1-en-1-yl)benzene; trans-Cinnamyl chloride

CAS No.:2687-12-9

EINECS NO.: 220-246-4

Molecular formula: C9H9Cl

Molecular weight: 152.66

Appearance: colorless to pale yellow liquid

Assay: >97%

Melting point: 19 °C

Boiling point: 108 °C

Density: 1.096 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)

Refractive index: n20/D: 1.584 (lit.)

Flash point: 175 °F

Packing: 200kg / plastic bucket

Beilstein: 05, II, 372

Fieser: 13,299

Specific Gravity: 1.096

Solubility: Soluble in water (0.2 g/L at 20°C).

Packing: 200kg / plastic bucket



Store in cool place. Keep container tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place. Containers which are opened must be carefully resealed and kept upright to prevent leakage. Recommended storage temperature: 2 - 8°C


Cinnamyl chloride can be miscible with alcohol and ether, soluble in acetone, soluble in benzene, insoluble in water.

Production method: 

Obtained by chloromethylation of styrene. Hydrochloric acid and formaldehyde were added to the reaction vessel, and styrene was added thereto with stirring, and the mixture was heated under reflux for 3 hours. After standing for 1 h, the lower layer of waste acid was separated, and the upper reaction liquid was dehydrated with anhydrous calcium chloride to obtain cinnamyl chloride.


When you are dealing with this chemical, you should be very careful. This chemical is inflammation to the skin, eyes and respiratory system or other mucous membranes. It at very low levels cause damage to health and it is very toxic by inhalation. If swallowed, it's harmful to health. Therefore, you should wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection. In case of contacting with eyes, you should rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. And in case of accident or if you feel unwell seek medical advice immediately.